Monday, October 3, 2011

Manic Money Monday

Source

I thought I had come up with a great blogging idea. I started a word doc to write some posts into while I'm at work (on my breaks of course) and I wrote this really great post and started some more for the rest of the week. Then promptly forgot to google doc or fwd it to myself. Oh well. I'll figure it out.

I did finally get my paycheck over the weekend. On Sunday. I'm just glad it showed up. They sent it USPS and I forgot to check our mailbox (which is on the other side of the neighborhood) on Saturday- so I found it Sunday. I promptly went to Wal Mart thinking I would cash it and then deposit the cash via the Suntrust ATM. When I got to customer service I detached the check from the statement along the line where it was folded. Unfortunately that wasn't the actual perforation so the Walmart check reader thingy wouldn't read my check. All of the numbers were untouched, the edge just wasn't straight or something. So no go on cashing the check.

I just deposited the check into the ATM, no harm no foul really. I just really wanted to have access to the cash because I wanted to go open up a new checking account today. I'm planning to switch banks as soon as I can get the direct deposit thing straightened out. Suntrust has been good to me over the years, but they are about to start charging fees. $7.00 a month for my checking account and $5.00 a month for use of my debit card. I already pay $20.00 a year for my card because it is a sky miles card. I just can't justify paying that money when the credit union where my savings account is will pay me to keep my money and the skymiles card is free.

So sorry Suntrust. Blame the government.

Pand I are new to this two-income house way of life. I thought it would be a relief, but I still feel like we're barely holding our heads above water. When I was in school I paid the utility bills, but that was mostly loan money. Now I do the same thing and I have income- but it feels harder. Maybe because I am having to save a much money as possible for Bar Review (which has to be paid next month). I'll be paying towards that until January. Then the wedding. I don't even know when I'll find the money to actually get out of debt.

P has been great though. He even made a weekly/monthly budget for both of us. Mine looks a little bleaker than his, but hopefully that is only temporary. I'll save the discussion about what role I think money will play in our marriage for another post, but let's just say I'm not worried one bit.

Time to study. Later gators.
~BEM

2 comments:

  1. I hate money! Ugh! We tracked our money for two months. We both get paid pretty much the same amount every paycheck. On paper it looked great! I was like holy crap! We make a lot of money! But then we had to factor in rent, car insurance, gas, heating, electric, food, pre school, clothes, etc. I'm trying to become a smarter grocery shopper. It's not working out to well yet. lol
    New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true what they say, more money more problems! I just started a new job after a fairly long period of unemployment- I did learn a lot about grocery shopping during that time...I feed the two of us relatively well on about 50 bucks a week. It takes practice! Thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete