Monday, September 5, 2011

Musings of a Storm Chaser

Well, today is not exactly the Labor Day I had in mind. I assumed we'd be at a cook-out somewhere, grilling something and working on a cooler of beer. Instead, tropical storm Lee has descended upon us and there are tornadoes popping up everywhere.

I woke up to it pouring down rain and my immediate thought was: soup! Yes, the first thing I think about when I wake up is food. We haven't had any rain here in a LONG while, and I have been waiting for an opportunity to make a nice hearty soup- b/c I LOVE comfort food- but I need the right setting to really enjoy it. P and I lazed around for a long while before I decided to go to the grocery store (I really should make sure I always have soup ingredients on hand). As I was walking out the door P informs me there is a tornado warning in effect until 4:31 (I was leaving at 4:20).

I decided to head out anyways. Not the smartest decision I've ever made. I made it to the store a-okay, but on my way home all hell broke loose. It was pouring rain AND there were sirens going off everywhere. Omg. I was so panicked. I basically drove home way too fast and ran in the door to collapse on the floor in a big ball of tears. P promptly asked me to make cookies. Before I could yell at him I decided he was right, cookies will make me feel better.

So now we are having cookies and then soup. The tornado watch is in effect until 11:00 tonight. I know of at least one that has been sited already. I hope the damage is minimal- this area got rocked by a string of storms just a few months ago. I'll update once we are in the clear...until then...soup and cookies (in the basement).

One of my favorite pics of P and Waylon- when we got snowed in for a week winter 2011.


~BEM 

No comments:

Post a Comment